by Mark Robb

The Ulster Classic Motorcycle Club held round 2 of the WD Foods Sponsored Championship at Cardy Road, Carrowdore on Saturday. Conditions were difficult for the competitors as the Province continued to experience weather normally associated with the Mediterranean.

In the first of the 2 Championship races of the day, the 10 lap Pre 78 Class, local riders dominated proceedings. From the gate Ballyblack rider Ryan McMaster (CZ) got the holeshot from Carrowdore's Harold McQuaid (Maico) and Bangor man Lee Rook (CZ).
By lap 2 McMaster who was having some problems,fell back down the order leaving McQuaid free to romp home unchallenged for the first of his five wins of the day. Behind him in runner up spot came Rook with Donaghadee's Alan Kernoghan riding a borrowed CZ third.

The WD Foods Pre 85 race saw yet more locals in contention for top positions as Jamie McMaster (Maico) led from Cloughey's Roderick Shaw (Husqvarna) Bradley Andrews (Maico) and Ballyhornan's Tadg Heaney (Kawasaki). At the start of lap two there was a new leader as Shaw led from Andrews,Heaney and Kells rider Greg Worthington (Maico) with McMaster in fifth after a crash. He immediately set about making amends passing Worthington on the next lap before taking another 2 laps to get by Heaney and one more for Andrews before closing in on Shaw at the halfway point. Despite his best efforts McMaster had to settle for the runner up spot with Shaw taking the win and young Andrews getting the best of Heaney at the flag.

The first Grade A event saw McQuaid post his first start to finish victory of the day taking the flag from a hard riding Shaw, with young Heaney turning the tables on Andrews, taking a well deserved third spot at the finish.

The second A Grade saw Shaw briefly lead from the gate and head McQuaid for two laps before the local man got by to lead to the finish from lap 3 with Shaw runner up from McMaster, who was now riding a CZ, finishing just ahead of his elder brother Ryan (Maico).

The third race saw Worthington lead from the start with both Shaw and the younger McMaster stalling from the gate with Shaw restarting but McMaster retiring with machine trouble. When the dust settled Worthington held the lead for 2 laps before McQuaid swooped by on lap 3 to record his fourth win of the day with Worthington runner up from Thomas Murdock (Triumph) and Shaw.

The fourth and final Grade A race saw McQuaid third from the gate with Shaw and McMaster disputing the lead with Shaw edging it for 2 laps before McMaster took over. By the halfway point McQuaid had displaced both of them to win with McMaster second from Shaw followed home by Andrews.

The Grade B races saw the honours more evenly shared between Bangor's Daryn Dunlop (Honda) and Dundrod's Robbie Bell (Maico) who both registered 2 wins apiece. Dunlop was first on the scoresheet with a start to finish win, followed home by Carryduff's Mark Harrison (CZ) who was making a return to racing after a number of years and Dubliner Grant Lyon (CZ) in third. Fourth was another newcomer to the Club, Crumlin rider Neville Fleming(Honda) with Bell fifth and Kernoghan (CZ) sixth.

Race 2 and Bell made amends by getting the start and gritting his teeth, extending his lead over a number of laps to record his first win of the season with Dunlop second, Lyon third and Fleming fourth.

Dunlop made no mistakes in the next race gating in the lead and holding to the flag with Harrison second all the way from the consistent Lyon with Bell fourth.

With Dunlop sidelined for the final B event with exhaustion, Bell grabbed the opportunity with both hands to record his second start to finish win from the ever improving Harrison with Fleming third and Antrim's Gary Canning (Kawasaki) fourth.

The final race,the Handicap was won by Andrews with McQuaid pipping Shaw on the line for the  runner up spot.

The Ulster Classic Motorcycle would like to thank landowner Harry Ross for the generous use of his land for the event.The next race in the season will be at 28th July at Fort Road, Dundrod.